There are a number of important steps that need to be taken in regards to the delivery and storage of your steel building kit. You must ensure the right measures are taken to protect your building kit, yourself and others.
The delivery driver must have access to the site to allow placement of the kit. Ideally access is within 5 to 6 metres of the building pad to minimise double handling, which can result in some form of damage. The steel building kit and its various sections must be laid on a level and flat plane to ensure they are secure.
The following recommendations are made to ensure the safe and secure storage of your building kit;
- The kit must be stored on a level surface. Removal of the retaining straps releases pressure, and components may be unstable.
- Cladding must be placed on gluts or suitable timber dunning to avoid contact with mud or water. Adequate drainage will also help to avoid excess water.
- Do not use steel to support the section packs as different types of steel materials will cause surface corrosion issues with cold form components.
- Ideally building kits should be covered. This is especially important to components that are to be stored for an extended period of time.
- Finishings, gutters, roller and personal access doors need to be handled carefully as they are easily damaged. Ideally these should also be stored away from the main building kit.
- Bolts and screws should be stored in a dry place to prevent fixings rusting in the future.
Several safety issues arise with the storage of building kits. These risks include but are not limited to;
- Slipping or rolling packs
- Scratches and cuts from sharp edges
- Pests are venomous animals taken up residence within building kits
To ensure these risks are minimised, your building kit should be stored correctly and should have a perimeter barrier to avoid injury.
Steel Buildings Australia provides plans and construction manuals with each steel building kit. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with these important documents before storing them away safely.